Update to Queens Super Market Crash
Wednesday, May 27, 2015 06:42AM
In the Whitestone residential neighborhood in the northern part of the New York City borough of Queens five people remain in the hospital after a car crashed into a supermarket in Queens Tuesday evening.
An elderly women accidentally mistook the gas pedal for the brakes of her SUV during a busy shopping rush and crashed into the pathmark grocery store. The SUV drove right through the supermarket ending up at the produce section.
Five victims remain in the hospital with injured but stable; one in serious condition. Three people were transported to Booth Memorial Hospital, while two were taken to Elmhurst Hospital.
Witnesses say the vehicle must have been going about 50mph.
Elderly Driver Statistics
- In 2011, there were 35 million licensed drivers age 65 and over according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- 5,560 people age 65 and older were killed and 214,000 were injured in traffic crashes in 2012.
- In 2012 drivers age 65 and older accounted for 17 percent of all traffic fatalities.
National websites of interest include:
- AARP – http://www.aarp.org
- FHWA Older Drivers – http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/older_users/#facts
- NHTSA Older Driver – http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/olddrive/
- AAA Foundation for Safety – http://www.aaafoundation.org/home
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, License Renewal Procedures – http://www.iihs.org/laws/olderdrivers.aspx
- American Medical Association – http://www.ama-assn.org/
- ITNAmerica: Dignified transportation for seniors – http://www.itnamerica.org/
Legal Advice New York Personal Injury Attorney: