Facts about Whiplash Injuries
How Common is Whiplash
- Close to 3,000,000 Americans are injured every year.
- 1,500,000 develop chronic pain.
- 300,000 become disabled from chronic pain.
- Chronic neck pain is commonly from car crashes
- Most crashes are LOSRIC (Low Speed, Rear Impact Collision).
- Close to 9% of all Americans suffer from chronic pain due to LOSRIC.
Signs and symptoms
Whiplash accident victims may experience the following symptoms within the first two weeks after the accident:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Pain in the shoulder or between the shoulder blades
- Low back pain
- Pain or numbness in the arm and/or hand
- Ringing in the ears or blurred vision
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
- Irritability, sleep disturbances, fatigue
Factors that increase the risk of injury
- Hit from behind
- Deer in the headlights awareness
- Having your head turned at the time of impact
- Poor head restraint position